Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Jalie 2794 and a Bit of Boho

Oh, thank you for the wonderful compliments on my poppy skirt!  It is already a favorite of mine and a couple of you noticed my shoes.  I just love them with the skirt.  They were a fantastic buy at Payless Shoe's and I had been wearing them quite a lot as my house shoes. 


This weekend I began work on Jalie 2794.  I had a beautiful cut of a plum-colored rayon lycra from Marcy Tilton, and while rummaging through my stash I also came across a crinkle polyester print I have had for at least 7 or 8 years.  It still had the price tag on it and it came from Mill End in Portland, Oregon.  The plum of the rayon and the plum in the skirt were a perfect match.  Another outfit was born.

I didn't really use a pattern for the skirt.  For the wide ruffle at the bottom, I just cut 2 rectangles the full width of the fabric and sewed them together end to end, matching the print, and gathered the top and hemmed the bottom.  Then I cut two longer rectangles for the skirt body and lined it with a mauve-colored bamboo knit.  I attached the ruffle to the bottom, but left the lining hanging free, and made a 1" elastic waistband by zigzagging the elastic to the top and lining, then folding it down and topstitching.  The skirt was finished.  It has a bit of a bohemian feel to it.  I love that and think it will look nice with my jean jacket too. 

Jalie 2794 is destined to become one of my favorite knit patterns.  The sweetheart neckline turned out better than I thought it would.  I wasn't sure the style would work for my frame, but I really do like it on me.  The pattern is well drafted.  I made a size "S".  The only thing I changed was to make the sleeves extra long and tight like the sleeves on the recent turtleneck pattern in the Burda Style magazine (issue 9/2010). Dawn has posted a couple of cozy versions of it.  Living in HI, I don't need the turtleneck, so a little pattern morphing was in order, to take advantage of using the gorgeous lines of the Burda sleeves!  Also, this Jalie pattern uses 1/4" seams and my sewing machine handled it nicely without stretching the fabric this time.  I didn't use my serger on this top, but I used my coverstitch machine to hem it.



 Here is a close-up of the sweetheart neckline:

I have some blog reading to catch up on this evening.  Looks like a lot of inspiration is just waiting to be discovered!

21 comments:

Lori said...

Wonderful outfit.

Jane M said...

What a fun outfit. That Jalie neckline is so lovely, definitely one of my all time favorite patterns.

Jenna said...

Great job! I love the colors & you're right, the sweetheart neckline looks awesome!!

Vanessa said...

Oh so pretty! You always seem to have a knack for picking out great fabrics!

Sue said...

Such pretty colours. The outfit looks great. I have that Jalie pattern but wasn't sure about how the neckline would look on me. It looks great on you and has inspired me to try it.

Handmade said...

Yes, another great outfit - I love the skirt fabric - very Boho and fresh - cute top - must write that down!

Home's Jewels said...

Wow - what a great outfit!

Love the whole thing!

Irene said...

Beautiful outfit! I like the fact that you often make a whole outfit, or at least coordinate with something already in the wardrobe. You must not have any "orphans" in your closet.

Karin said...

The top turned out really well. It looks great and will go with loads of things. The skirt is fun too.

Lisa said...

Another great outfit !

Alexandra Mason said...

A gorgeous outfit...i love the colours and the styles!

velosewer said...

You have such great style and styling. Love the outfit.

knottygnome said...

i'm loving the purple and wow. you have really long arms. :-P

Myra said...

Speaking of inspiration...I love this top! You did a great job and it's a must have for me! I love the color fabric and the beautiful skirt you paired it with. Nice job on both pieces! Isn't great to be able to create your own wardrobe!!!

Trudy Callan said...

The whole outfit is gorgeous together. Love the sweetheart neckline.

Caroline said...

I like the neckline too! The color of your shirt ought to be quite versatile, too. heh heh, I think you certainly dole out your fair share of inspiration ...

Lisette M said...

Is it great when you get a complete outfit from your stash? You look great! Your skirt reminds me of a Kwik Sew pattern I made a while ago that was really popular in PR.
I love the poppy skirt!!

Joy said...

Don't you love shopping in your stash? My kids enjoy doing that (:
Such a pretty top in a pretty color!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

That Jalie pattern is also one of my favorites. The neckline is really nice and looks great on you. The skirt is beautiful.

Linda said...

Love this top and skirt combo. Great job on the Jalie top. I like this pattern, too. I need to make a long sleeve version for this fall. Love the shoes also!

amber said...

Well, you just sold me on that Jalie pattern. What a pretty neckline!