Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vogue 8241 Honu Dress

Vogue 8241 has been on my "To Make" list for a while.  It is a semi-fitted, pullover, lined dress with waistline casing in the seam and blousing in the bodice.  The back neckline opening has a button with a loop closing. 
I used a gorgeous crinkle rayon from Fabric Mart.  Having not worked with a crinkle fabric before, I was a little nervous going forward with cutting and making the dress.  I stared at the fabric on my shelf for some time before I dove in and got started.  I call this my Honu Dress, because the colors remind me of the seaweed, and I have recently spotted and captured, on film, the enormous sea turtle I told you about earlier.   Before I show you the dress, here are a couple of detail shots of the button and loop closure and the hem.  The hem is wavy, but I think it looks fine overall.  I don't know of any other way you would hem a crinkle fabric and not get waves, but if you know, please share.  I'd love to hear what your thoughts are. 
And here is the dress.  I have to tell you this fabric feels divine.  It will be extremely comfortable for Maui's hot humid weather. I decided not to make the self-tie.  I think this dress needs something to break up the fabric print, like the solid colored belt I am wearing with it.
There is only one page of instructions for this pattern.  Gotta love that!  I lined the bodice, but I did not line the skirt.  I also did not leave a slit in the center back.  I cut about 1 inch off the hemline of view A, and I lengthened the bodice by 1 inch.  Otherwise there were no other fit alterations to the pattern.  I cut out the size 10.  I did tissue fit the bodice to check that the armholes would fit.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I did not have to alter them at all.  I was also glad to see that the pattern tells you to understitch the lining as far as possible.  As you may know, this helps the lining to stay rolled to the inside along the armholes and neckline. Here is a close-up of the bodice. 
Thank you all for your sweet comments on the last dress.  Caroline had a question from the last post that I'd like to answer. "You never mention making a muslin, and in the case of four-way stretch that would be pointless anyway. So are you making all of these adjustments "on the fly" so to speak? How does that work?"  I did make all of my adjustments on the fly.  From measuring the tissue, I could see I was going to have real issues with the bodice.  I wasn't quite sure how I was going to deal with the fit issues though, until I sewed up the original pattern.  Since I knew there was a lot of ease, I wasn't too worried, because if anything I thought I would be cutting fabric away, and that is what I ended up doing, both with the bodice and the shoulder seam.  It is a pain to undo stitching, but that is what I did to get to my final result.  It was a lot of trial and error and patience until I got it just right.  

I hope to get back to some regular blogging in the near future.  I'm trying to find my balance.  Early walks on the beach are a welcome time of reflection and prayer.  Especially when God gives you amazing gifts, like spotting this big guy!  Blessings my online friends!



33 comments:

Mary said...

That is one of your best dresses!! It looks like the ocean.

Marie said...

The dress looks great.

I wish I had a beach nearby to walk on - I have to make do with the hilly streets around my house for my walks.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Great dress! As soon as I saw the pattern envelope I knew it was "very you". :) Love your fabric choice and belt, and the wavy hem looks perfect to me. I think it works with the overall look.

Thanks sharing the photo of the sea turtle too. What a beautiful creature!

Carolyn said...

Ohmigosh, I love the picture of the sea turtle!! How awesome is that?!
Your new dress is lovely, gorgeous fabric and a beautifully simple design to showcase it. Well done!

pdiddly said...

ditto to everything said above, the dress is very you and I am really jealous of you being in such a beautiful place

Bernice said...

I think this dress moves to the top of my Mushywear favourites. Everything about this dress is perfect on you - the colour, the style, the fit. The neckline is extremely flattering.

velosewer said...

From the pattern drawing I could already see you in this dress. The fabric is beautiful.
I do understand why you did the fitting in the fly. It does take patience and guts to do and you have both.

Anonymous said...

I too, have had this pattern for a very long time. I've almost used it for a "black with sparkles" dress knit. I really like your "crinkle" fabric!

Ah, the gifts of morning walks!

Brenda

Sue said...

Great dress, suits you really well and the crinkle fabric works so well!

j.kaori said...

It's a beautiful dress. The fabric is so nice with that style. And of course I love your honu picture -- what a nice surprise to see during a morning walk!

daniKate designs said...

I love your new dress! It has a great island feel to it and the colors are beautiful. And your picture of the sea turtle is amazing!
Your blog always makes me miss the days I lived in Hawaii. I only got to visit Maui twice (I lived in Oahu), but it was my favorite island.:)

Amanda S. said...

Another lovely dress! It looks perfect for summer and I think the belt is an awesome addition.

Vanessa said...

Your dress is beautiful! The green color and crinkly texture lend well to this pattern. And yes, that sea turtle is amazing!

Andrea said...

Beautiful dress. It looks great on you, and I like the belt choice. The hem as it appears in your full length picture is reminiscent of a lettuce edge hem that is made on a serger. What a wonderful way to start your day, a peaceful walk on the beach.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

I love that pattern, I have it too and made it some time ago. great look on you.

Faye Lewis said...

You did a great job on the dress!

Shannon said...

This dress looks great on you! I love that fabric!

kathy said...

The above comments say it all. Love the 'contrasting' belt with the dress. The belt you chose makes this look like a special dress you went shopping for.
The only other way I could think to hem would be to hand-baste it first and then machine-sew but I love the slight ripple effect. Really works with the seaweed honu coloration in the fabric.

meli88a said...

That looks like the perfect breezy summer dress. The fabric is a great choice!

Victoria said...

Cute dress! I love the fabric color and texture. The belt goes perfect with it:)

katherine h said...

That dress looks great. I'm so jealous. I have this pattern, but on me, it looks awful...guess we don't all look the same. Enjoy it!

fabric epiphanies said...

A lovely casual print for your dress. I like the belt with it as well.

Irene said...

Your dress is perfect. And I think that the hem works well the way it is on this fabric. Should you wish a non-wavy hem in future - my method is to sandwich the fabric between tissue paper, which stabilizes the fabric, and allows for a straight hem. Unfortunately, on certain fabrics this creates its own problems - like popped seam, because the fabric wants to stretch and the stitching won't let it do so.

Caroline said...

Thanks for answering my question! I agree unpicking is a pain, esp in knit fabrics. I've done some very elementary pattern measurements and adjusted based on that .. I guess as I get more experience I might be able to do what you are doing!

I like this dress. mmm, ideal for hot humid weather - might have to add this to my list as well.

Gorgeous Things said...

I love your dress, and I LOVE the turtle. Sea turtles are so beautiful, and it's so cool to see them up close and personal on the beach or in the water.

Audrey said...

This dress is the perfect pattern fabric combo. It looks so cool and comfortable, but classy too.

gwensews said...

Your dress is so pretty and also looks like it would be cool and comfortable. Oh, my goodness--that turtle is not one that would want to be picked up! Ouch!

Bri said...

Oh you look brilliant in this dress, bravo! I love the cut, I'm going to have to make one like this as it looks like a perfect summer dress!

Can't believe you saw that amazing turtle and got such a great shot too!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Gorgeous dress! Your fabric choice is just perfect. It looks comfortable and sophisticated, quite a feat for one garment.

Myra said...

I really like this dress on you and the fabric is a great choice for the pattern too!

I do understand what you mean about "balance", it's so hard to share this wonderful passion we have with "Life", isn't it??

Kyle said...

What a great dress! I might need to make it. It is bra friendly? The shoulders look like they might not be wide enough to cover bra straps.

LOVE the honu!

Cennetta said...

Great looking dress. And easy too. Can't beat that.

It was a treat to see that "Big Guy". Lucky you and thanks for sharing.

SEWN said...

That dress looks stunning on you! Beautiful.